Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Whakapapa Village (Tongariro Crossing) Oct31-Nov1/08







As we leave the first motorcamp in Tongariro Crossing a magpie dive bombs Peter hitting him in the helmut, repeatedly until we are past the trees where their nests are. I keep waving my arm to fend it off when I hear it approaching.

Although it doesn't appear to be steep, we have strong headwinds and it is cold so it is tough cycling. A van pulls up beside me and yells "Yeah Canada", it is encouragement. Only 7KM from the turnoff to Whakapapa Village, it seems so gradual it is flat but I feel sluggish.

I take a photo of Peter and Mt. Ngauruhoe and the Chateau & Mt. Ruapehu in the background (snow covered).

The next day we take a weather rest day as the forcast is bad and it holds true. By 1PM it is raining hard on and off, so fortunately after hanging out in the coffee shop, stopping in the Visitor Centre and the Chateau (modelled after Chateau Lake Louise), and having lunch, I opt not to do a short tramp.

We spend the day in the kitchen chatting with a Polish couple that have been living 30 years in Australia. It rains and rains and rains, I am concerned if our tent will flood as there are some water pools around the tent, fortunately we stay dry.

Day 18 cycling 25KM

No comments: