Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Black Cloud Feb 24/11

In February a earthquake in DT Christchurch, people died. Also revolts that started in Turkey or Tunesia, spread to Egypt, Libia, etc. February the weather suddenly feels warmer again and there are more foreigners about.

Not sure when it starts but I am under a black cloud for it seems like a couple months. November, December and January are very cold in Kathmandu and it bothers me when I am cold in my room but can snuggle under warm covers in a comfortable bed thinking about people that are sleeping outside with less clothes than I.

I see disabled people begging and dogs that look really bad with no hair or raw patches on their skin. I see a trio of children that look very dirty. The boy is carrying a toddler on his back (less than 2 years old). A couple of them have no footware.

I get my friend to ask the children if they have parents or if they are homeless. They have parents that work but they drop the chidren at Boudha daily to beg. With my friend's help I get sandals for the children to wear.

One night when I am feeling very sad about the poverty that I see, a street dog comes up to me to comfort me. Because of that, I start buying dog food to give to the dogs; it helps me to feel a bit better.

There is one disabled man that I always give rupees to as he walks bent at an angle and one hand is curved. He is humble not begging aggressively.

Still I think about my compassion as I can give more than what I do but I am also conscious of my budget, having money to cover my expenses and what I will do when I am home.

I think that my friend gives freely when moved, she is so kind. She gives even when she has very little herself.

In early March the cloud finally lifts from my head.

No comments: