Saturday, January 10, 2009

Christchurch Jan3-5/09




When I phone Michaels' in the morning, his son answers they are away in Nelson and won't be back until 6:30PM.

Peter and I decide to stay another night at the backpackers so we can run errands today. We are fortunate as the hostel is fully booked otherwise.

We leave mid morning and go to the I-site to check information. After we have a bagel for lunch. I go to the library, check emails and research Nepal but run out of time although I do locate a budget hotel that will pick you up at the airport. I send Michael and email to let him know that we will stay at the backpackers for another night.

Before we get too far, it starts to rain and as Peter doesn't have his jacket we walk back to the hostel. We just get in the door and it starts to pour and hail and lightening.

Unfortunately it is after 5PM when we head out and most of the stores are closed. I feel frustrated as we had the whole day and accomplished very little.

We end up walking to Pak & Save (as we don't find the shuttle) to pick up vitamins, groceries, toiletries, etc. On the way back we stop at a Soualaki place for supper. It is very busy and takes quite a while but it is very tasty.

When we get back around 8:30PM I do a load of laundry. After a couple tries I reach Michael and we arrange to meet at the hostel around 10AM and he will take us to finish up errands.

We watch the rest of Good Day Vietnam with Robin Williams. I am feeling the fleeting time left before Peter and I part for 3 months.

As we are bringing out our bags, Michael arrives with his "loser cruiser" as his son refers to it. It is good to see him again, he is so courteous. He is kind enough to endure the hassle of me completing my errands and then head to his home.

We sit and chat with him and Pamela and then enjoy a lovely spread for lunch. In the garage I check my paniers for any bugs before taking them in the house. Before we leave for a drive I manage to book the hotel in Kathmandu and send them an email with my flight details so that they will pick me up at the airport. It is a relief to have that arranged.

At the mall I fuss (it takes awhile) about the vitamins and calcium tablets to pick up and pick up a grammer book and flash cards. Afterwards Michael and Pamela take us for a drive along the coast and then up a steep windy road with tight corners. Even being on the inside of the road I feel somewhat nervous but the view is awesome.

Back at their house, I have confirmation from the hotel that they will pick me up and we have a snack before the tasty dinner of chicken, kumara and veggies that Pamela made.

Thankfully, Michael and Peter start working on boxing my bike as I sort out my luggage-I finish with my luggage shortly after my bike is boxed. I am so thankful for their help with the bike otherwise I would have been up very late.

Michael is very handy with his hands, he made his own bike rack for his bike and other things, just amazing. We meet their youngest son, Ryan, he will soon be leaving on an exchange. I sit up for a bit and chat (looking at The Far Side) but have to shower and go to bed.

Peter and I chat about some percautions in Nepal.

We have a good breakfast and I take their photo before Pamela leaves for work.

Michael drops Peter off with me at the airpor to pick him up in about an hour. I feel very nervous and emotional parting with Peter. He offers me some reassuring words.

I only have to pay a $15 oversize charge. It is a short flight. I chat with a woman that is a teacher and she gives me some teaching tips.

It is easy at the airport and I call the hotel for a pick up.

After getting my luggage resorted I phone to reconfirm my flight to Nepal then have Lamb Biryini and Naan bread for supper.

When I get back to my room another traveller is reading, she is leaving at 3:30AM so she has the alarm set but will reset it for me. She is finishing up a year and half travel (she spent 6 months at a ski hill in BC).

While watching TV and updating my journal I get a message to phone Peter - I wonder if something is wrong. As I only have $1.00 left on my phone card and it is too late to get one at the store I am not sure how I will phone him back. Finally I use my credit card to make the call, but have to leave a message.

Shortly after I get another message to phone again, so I go back to the payphone and reach him. Nothing is wrong, he just wanted to find out how I made out. Again I ask him to tell Michael and Pamela how very much I enjoyed visiting them and to thank them profusely for their help.

No comments: