Saturday, January 10, 2009

Timaru-Geraldine (New Years Eve) Dec30-31/08


It is still hot in the morning when we leave. I find out that the temperature has been around 38 degrees (no wonder the tar seal is melting). We get on back roads but have to consult the map frequently as the route is not direct-rolling hills.

Along the way my bike stops shifting to small chain ring in front so I can not shift into low gear. In one of the few shady spots, Peter trys to fix it by adjusting the screws. It works temporarily then stops working. We eventually give up, however I hear squeaking so I stop and try to fiddle with it again, still no resolution.

It is a long hot ride and some of the roads are gravel which are tricky to ride on especially downhill to brake gently so we don't go too fast or skid. I am tired of the hills.

We stop at a B&B to ask about the motorcamp but there are only a couple cats around
so I convince Peter that we should continue onto Timaru as we did not see a sign for the motorcamp.

A few kilometers before Timaru, we see the sign and turn off as it is very close. It is a family motorcamp with a swimning pool that many children are enjoying. I am really wiped, I just collapse on a chair and relax while Peter chats with the owner.

After a good shower and supper, I watch a fellow playing football with some children, whenever another child shows up that wants to play he says "Sure mate".

After turning my bike upside down I manage to dislodge a couple of small stones that caused the gear not to shift. I am glad that this is resolved.

Another hot day. We leave at 10:30AM and make good time in the morning, about 20-30km we reach Pleasant Point. It is a cute little town and we stop at "Legends" as recommended by the owner of the previous motorcamp.

Legends is in a heritage building, we enjoy ice cold water (2 jugs) and I have two tasty meat pies.

Unfortunately after lunch we have a headwind against us. Although the route is direct it is a slow go especially the closer we get to Geraldine.

It is New Years Eve. The motorcamp is full but the owner squeezes us in, understanding that we are on bikes and another 10km is a long way after a long hot day of riding.

The camp is packed, cheek and jowl with vehicles and tents. After some take away in town, I decide that I will try to face paint as there are many children around.

I walk over to the playground area and sit down at a table where a father and his 3 children are. One child asks what I am doing and I tell her I want to face paint...so after a few faces I have a line up of kids around the table waiting there turn and 2 hours passes quickly. I tell the children what I am doing and that I am going to volunteer in Nepal and they wish me luck.

After a shower, Peter and I walk through the camp listening to the drunk?? people singing karakoke. It is a fun night just seeing all the groups of people.

I try to stay awake for midnight but Peter has to wake me up.

Day 57 cycling 57KM
Day 58 cycling 57KM

No comments: