Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Cat Jan29/09



Today is a school holiday so my plan is to go to Boudha after breakfast to sketch. As I am waiting for breakfast I again hear a cat meowing and see a black and white cat dragging its two hind legs along the ground...it looks so pitiful and afraid.

I asked Amit if he can humanely put it out of its misery, but he says that he can't as cats are tough to kill. I try to eat my breakfast but I am concerned about the poor cat.

Roshan initially picks it up by the scruff of its' neck and takes it across the road to some bushes but later I see him take it to the backyard. I can't finish my breakfast.

Yesterday on my walk I recall seeing an SPCA. I hear the cat meow and look down from my room, the two young cooks have it sitting up wedged where it can't move and they are petting it.

I decide that I will take it to the SPCA. I end up wrapping it in my red shawl and putting it in my daypack with only a little opening for air and support it with my hands. It is a good cat as it doesn't try to bite me. I think that it was scared that it can't use its back legs.

Although the SPCA is very close, I pay 80NPR for a taxi as I don't have any small bills within reach.

Fortunately the SPCA is open and a woman holds the door for me when she hears the cat meow. The vet is away but is reached by phone and will come in an hour. I tell him that I think it was hit by a motorbike.

I wait with the cat resting its head on my hand and stroke it. The vet comes quicker. After examining it he determines that there is no feeling in its back,legs or tail so there is nothing that can be done for it. Therefore I ask him to put it to sleep.

I cry some as it reminds me of my cat and I feel sad but relieved that it won't suffer for days.

The vet takes a photo of it as he thinks that it is an indoor cat, someones' pet.

Afterwards I walk to Boudha. At Saturday Cafe I find out from a family (Peppi, David & son) about staying in Boudha. They give me some advice about hot water and walk me to the Schezen guesthouse to talk to a friend of theirs. This guesthouse is too expensive but her son points out the Dragon Guest House.

I go there, inquire about hot water and book a double room for Saturday as no single is available. There is a vegetarian restaurant at the guesthouse and a lovely green space but only common bathrooms. I time the walk back to Hotel Arun.

No comments: