Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Goddess of Education/Dragon Guesthouse Jan31/09




Although today is a holiday there is a ceremony to attend to honour the Goddess of Education.

At school, streamers are strung up across the courtyard and fruit is prepared. A priest comes to say some words and annoints the picture of the Goddess of Education. He says a prayer which is repeated by everyone. The teachers and line up to give an offering.

I watch Durga to see what the process is. As she gives some rupees to the priest I do so as well, but I think I should have placed it in front of the picture instead, as it is only a few rupees. By mistake I take the fruit he offers me with my left hand which is a no-no; he tells me right hand! He places a red tika on my forehead.

The children receive a red tika and fruit from the teachers and give their offering and bow their head in front of the picture of the goddess.

After the ceremony I finish packing and Amit arranges a taxi to Dragon. The taxi driver trys to charge me 300NPR (he tries to tell me that I am a foreigner and that I don't know how much it costs) but I stick to my price of 150NPR as I know that Thamel is much further and it is 200NPR.

The room is nice, it overlooks the garden on the side and front of the guesthouse. Down the hall are two bathrooms one with a shower. After breakfast in the garden,I walk to the big stupa to sketch from a rooftop cafe.

I end up chatting with an older German lady. She did a bike trip from Kathmandu to India a few years ago.

No comments: