Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tihar (Festival of Lights) November 5-10th



The first lights I see for Tihar are at Boudha decorating the Stupa and a monastery. It is really beautiful.









Tihar reminds me of Christmas as lights and decorations are put up in homes, shops and the streets. Shops and homes are decorated with garlands and a mandala and candles are lit leading into the home to invite Goddess Laxmi into their home to bless them with wealth.



A couple friends and I go to Durbar Square and the marketplace to see the lights. A beautiful mandela is made of various colour powders in the square.



Tihar...

Also called Diwali, held during October/November. It is a Hindu festival.

The first day the crow is worshipped.
The second day the dog is worshipped. (That is why Julie has a garland)
The third and fourth day the cow and bull is worshipped and their is puja for the goddess Laxmi (as mentioned above).
The fifth day sisters worship their brothers at Bhaitika (see next post).



That night I stay in my friends' room and join in the dancing on the street. I feel a bit shy as I am the only foreigner and I am not sure how to dance to the music.

People dance and sing in front of the homes and shops to receive gifts (money, food, etc.) The next night, there is more dancing, Padam's relatives from the village are there to celebrate in their traditional Nepali dress. One tall man leads the chorus of chanting, however the celebrants are a bit drunk so their dancing is a bit more wobbly.




No comments: