Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cold in Kathmandu/Shopping Meca Dec16/10











It is cold in Kathmandu in December (especially) and January. It is not minus 30 (Canada) with wind chill cold, however, occasionally you can see your breathe outside and there is no heating inside. I don't remember it being this cold when I was here previously in January.


I break down and buy a warm hat. The morning and evenings are cold although it warms up in the daytime, such that you take off all the layers you have been wearing.



In my room or when I am eating upstairs if I am not under two heavy covers then I am wearing my hat, fleece sweather, nylon vest, my shawl and sometimes my rain jacket. A few times I have resorted to wearing my down jacket (if my fleece is being washed).

However when I see people at night that I know will be sleeping outside, perhaps without a hat or warm layers to keep them warm, it is hard to sleep at night with the thought of these poor souls outside in the cold.

I buy some children sandals that I thought were homeless as they are so dirty, but their parents work and drop off little brother, sister and the laughing toddler at Boudha to beg during the day, fortunately they have a room to sleep in at night.



Shopping Meca







In Boudha (and elsewhere in Kathmandu you can buy just about anything) it's a good place to be if you like, no love to shop! Fortunately I curbed my shopping addiction before I came here...otherwise I could be in trouble.
















Practical items (including toilet paper) and fresh local produce.

No comments: