Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Waffles/Tempos Nov. 29/10


Waffles

We take a taxi to Mike's Restaurant (near Naxal) for waffles. I think that I am doing the treating but my friend is, fortunately, as I didn't realize how expensive it will be. They are really tasty with curd and fruit on top...yum, yum, yum.



Tempos/Micros (tuk-tuk)




Generally your choices are the 3-wheel white micro (climb in the back, bench on each side) or the blue van (climb in the side entrance-bench on each side and a little stool near side entrance). There are rails on the ceiling to hold onto.

Occasionally you can catch a large bus where if you don't get a seat you can stand and hold onto a rail near the ceiling.

Stand at the side of the road, wave your arm and ask "Gaushala janchha?" or the destination that you want to go. Chaina (pronounced "China") means no and chha means yes.

On the blue van a young man (sometimes a boy) is hanging off the side yelling out the places that they are going but it is like an auctioneer you can't really make out what he is saying.

Also on the blue van there is an amazing capacity to cram people on like "sardines in a can". I don't take the blue van unless I get a seat or at least somewhere to rest one butt cheek. Don't expect to maintain your personal space and if you are tall you may not be too confortable. Locals carry bags of produce, etc onboard but I would take a taxi if I was carrying anything bigger than a bag I can hold on my lap.




As you are travelling along the boy is calling out the names so don't get confused and think that you are already at your destination. He may also ask inside where you are going and then ask for payment which generally is before you get to your destination.

Fortunately, I can recognize some places now so if they don't call out "Ratna Park" I can still recognize that I have reached my destination. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any buses to Thamel. So from Ratna Park I can walk north to Thamel or south to Maiti Ghar where the immigration office is, or to the inconveniently located Tourism Office.

One day I make the mistake of taking a blue van that screeches to a halt to pick me up then weaves in and out of traffic blowing his horn...is there a fire, is your wife having a baby, are you having road rage? I am concerned that he will run someone over, his driving is ridiculous, I should have just paid my 10 rupees, got off and caught another bus.

The minimum charge is 10 rupees.

I feel uncomfortable a couple times when I am wearing my kourtasurwhal and people stare at me. I ask some teachers what I should do, they offer that people are just curious, however one teacher suggests that I say (Kay Byo?- what happened?).

I decide that I should say Namaste or tell them I am a volunteer with Maiti Nepal or ask how they are(in Nepali).

No comments: