Thursday, March 26, 2009

Kathmandu Durbur Square Jan8/09









Although I get directions, I take a wrong turn and end up in a non-tourist area. As I cross a bridge a little boy seems fasinated with my camera. Along the way I see a couple goats beside the road.

It is interesting to see the loads that people carry on their backs or bikes. I return to the guesthouse for a snack before I venture out again.

This time I locate the square and walk around a little and take photos. A man approaches me to tell me about the temples. Initially I say no but then agree when he says that I can pay what I think it is worth.

We sit, he tells me about the gods of the temples and shows me the temple that is made entirely out of one tree. We go to a rooftop cafe and have a coffee and chips. He tells me about his family.

Everything is pleasant until I offer him 100 rupees and he says 1000 rupees. I tell him that if I knew he wanted that much I wouldn't have agreed to a guide. I offer him 150 take it or leave it...I am unsure what is an appropriate sum and as I feel guilty as it is far less then he requested I give him $1US as well. We part ways.

At supper I ask to join a woman who is sitting by herself. Jess is a doctor who is here volunteering. She is 5 months into 1 year travel and her fiance, Duncan is currently in Bangladesh volunteering.

I tell her about the incident at Durbur Square. She thought 100 rupees was also appropriate-I feel better. Jess lends me her Lonely Planet guide on Nepal. The book recommends that women don't hike alone or alone with a guide.

No comments: