Thursday, March 26, 2009

Nepali Classes Jan13-15/09







As Brad has left to do the Everest Trek, it is only Jess & I for breakfast. I leave early to make it to language class on time. Parbatti is a good teacher; the hour goes by quickly.

Afterwards I sit in a cafe and review my class notes.

After a snack at hotel it is too late to walk to the Monkey Temple (also I think I will get lost) so I go back to Durbur Square to do some sketching. I chat with a couple young men and practise some Nepali on them.

I change my sitting spot and some little girls come by. I ask them their names in Nepali. I show them my colour pencils and paintbrush and let them paint my sketches. They ask me to take their photo, so I do.

I walk back and then turn off to the shopping street Indra Chowk. I get lost so I end up back in Thamel then follow my usual route to get back to the guesthouse.

The next day I have a good 2 hour Nepali class. As the guesthouse charges per item for laundry I take most of my clothes to a laundry place 50NPR per 50kg.

I chat with an older man, Opi who invites me to come and talk with him.

I walk to the clothing shop to pick up my outfits. When I try them on they are too tight so I wait in the shop while they take them for adjustments. They offer me a tea, which they get from a local shop.

As the tea is very hot, I think that it will likely be okay to drink, however not long after I leave the shop my stomach starts to feel upset and I feel nausea...I head back to the guesthouse.

I lay down for an hour or two and finally vomit. My stomach feels very sore. I go downstairs to ask Puskar to have someone empty the wastebasket for me.

Jess comes by later, she didn't see my note so doesn't know that I am sick. She gives me some doctor advice, not to eat for a couple hours just to sip water. Shortly after she leaves I am sick again.

I feel quite miserable. After throwing up a third time with nothing left in my stomach I am able to fall asleep.

In the morning I manage to go to my class but it is difficult to concentrate for 2 hours. I have a snack when I get back to the hotel.

I look at stoves and end up buying a jute purse to wear with my school outfit.

As Jess has moved to Budha closer to her volunteer work, I have supper with a young Belgium woman...her name is Muriel but she calls herself Mukla??

No comments: