Friday, March 27, 2009

The Shoeshine Scam Jan18/09






I take the quiet route to Boudha. Along the way I watch 2 boys playing a board game called "Cannon Board". It is like pool only with chips and you flick the chips in the corner holes with your fingers instead of a pool cue.

I didn't eat much for breakfast, I feel ill when I reach there so I sit for a long time and eventually have an omlette and some boiled water.

I go to the Lotus Guest House to inquire about rooms but there is no one there to ask about a discount for long stay.

As I am planning to look for the Dragon Guest House, a young man asks me if he can help, so he takes me there. Along the way he tells me that he is from India, he shines shoes but his box was stolen, his parents are dead and he supports his brother and sister.

Although I ask him I don't find out how he is currently supporting himself.

I want to give him some money for helping me to find the Dragon Guest House but he refuses.

I ask him about licensing for a shoe shine box and how much a box is. He leads me to a tent area and to a man that will sell him a box for $6000NPR. I tell him that I may loan him money but I can't loan him that much.

I ask if the man will take a deposit and let him earn to pay off the box. He will take 1/2 or 3100NPR.

We walk and chat. I ask him about repayment terms, how long it will take to repay me, how much he needs to live etc. I determine that he can start to repay me by early March. He seems sincere and I believe his story hook, line and sinker. So I get his email address and lend him the money. I also give me some money for food.

He tells me where he will be and that he will shine my shoes when he sees me.

At the end he asks me if I can buy some milk for his sister...it is only at this point that I wonder if I have just been scammed, as that is a common scam. However I hope that I haven't been and if I have been, I am out a bit of money.

I cook some noddles in my room as I am not sure what food the hotel can cook for me.

No comments: