Thursday, March 26, 2009

Kathmandu -Thamel Jan7/09










At 7AM from my window I see grey sky and buildings however the bright spot is a woman n a red sari tending to potted red flowers on the balcony across the alley.

Woman are hanging out laundry or washing clothes, people are passing in the alley on foot, bicycle or motorbike and dogs are barking.

As the sun comes out the grey burns off to reveal mountains around the city.

After I unpack and shower (once the water heats up)I go downstairs. As I see a couple in the courtyard I approach them to ask some questions to orient myself to Kathmandu.

The buiding with the prayer flags and the green courtyard is Hotel Ganish Himal.

They are Aussies, they provide some very useful information about banking, etc. and especially to get a good map as Thamel is a maze. I join a Danish man (Johanes) and his daughter (Kira) for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. She is volunteering for 5months at a children's home and he tells me about a trek that he did.

After breakfast I email Peter and a few family and friends to let them know that I arrived safely.

After getting directions, I venture into Thamel. I frequently turn around to take photos to try to have landmarks how to get back to the guesthouse. The streets are narrow, crowded with people walking, tuktuks, cars and motorbikes zipping along and frequently blowing their horns. It is chaotic. There are many little shops with items for sale.

My first venture into Thamel is okay. I eventually locate the Roadhouse Cafe, find an ATM that works and get a map and a few groceries.

I manage to find my way back to the guesthouse before dark.

No comments: