Sunday, March 29, 2009

School Jan20-23/09




Breakfast is late so I have to rush to school. I take a wrong street and back track 3 times before I realize my mistake. Assembly is started by the time I arrive.

When Archana does roll call, I ask her to get the student to stand up and say their name so I can start to learn their names. I record their names in a notebook.

During Nepali class I look at the books that the Japanese volunteers created they are wonderful...very clever!

In the afternoon I do some research so I can talk to the students about Canada.

At a break period I play catch with one girl and eventually others join in. It becomes funny when I throw the ball under one leg or between both legs or fake it, then the girls try to copy me also.

I also tell the teachers about Netball and demonstrate some of the moves (although I can't remember all the rules).

At the hotel I manage to check and send some email. Jess suggests meeting one night for supper (via email) at Boudha at Saturday Cafe. I go up the street to use a phone and confirm our supper plans.

Another fun day at school. I talk to the students about Canada, show them the globe and map and compare the size of Canada to Nepal. For homework I ask them to write something about Canada.

I play catch (ball and frisbee) and Cat and Mouse (freeze tag) with some children. The "cat" gets to wear my scarf.

After school I meet Jess for supper, as I am early I go into a Monestary, it is very beautiful and ornate. Unfortunately I don't see Bicky the "shoeshine" boy.

We enjoy a tasty supper and then share a wild taxi ride back to our hotels.

I take a bunch of balls and skipping ropes to school and a pump to inflate the balls. I give them to the games teacher, so they may be used at games period.

After classes, there is a basketball game between our school and another. Our girls play competatively. I cheer and clap.

As little girls are crowded around me asking me questions, I don't see the end of the game but I show them photos of Canada and family and friends.

No comments: