Monday, May 4, 2009

Anapurna Base Camp Trek Day1-3 Naya Pul to Tadapani


There is a long queue at the airport, however despite some concern about making my flight it all works out. It is a short flight. I am not on the right side of the aircraft which allows up close views of the mountains.

Pokara feels warmer than Kathmandu as soon as I step off the plane. I ask around to see if anyone wants to share a taxi but no luck. After a quick call to Verena, I taxi to 3 Sisters to meet her for breakfast.

After breakfast we walk to catch a taxi. I change some money to get smaller bills and get a taxi to take me to the ACAP office to get my permit and TIMS card. Verena suggested to get the taxi to wait which is a good suggestion as I don't see any readily available at the office.

By the time I get back to the guesthouse Matt is there and he has arranged a mini bus at a good price to transport us to the trailhead. Along the way we pass some very packed buses.

Day 1 Naya Pul to Hille
Treking is very hot. I am ready at the end of the first day for a hot shower and bed. In the night I think that I hear a mouse rustling in our bags.



Day 2 Hille to Ghorepani


We rise early, have a reasonably good breakfast and start at 7:45AM. Although there is a climb of 3280 steps and about 6-8 hours treking, I don't find it so tough, maybe as it is cloudy.

At one stop a little boy is sitting under a table feeding a baby goat with a bottle.



Day 3 Ghorepani to Tadapani
We rise at 4:30AM to climb Poon Hill to see the sun rise. It is cloudy so the views are not so great, however I enjoy the quiet and the sounds of the birds.

We get a late start, leave around 9AM. We start downhill, stop for tea at a market area then uphill through the woods and then endless downhill. The back of my calves ache.

It is 2PM by the time we stop for lunch it starts to rain then comes down very hard with hail. I put on my rain jacket and pants. Shortly after we head out it starts hailing again. It is a steep downhill so we take it very slow. The uphill section is very steep but the rain and hail let up.

I am quite tired by the time we arrive. Verena opts to sleep in the "dinning hall" as she does not want the three of us to share a room...so Matt & I share one.

No comments: