Monday, May 4, 2009

Bhaktapour Feb /09

I go to Bhaktapour twice, once on a field trip with some of the older classes and again with a couple people I have met at the Dragon Guest House.

On the field trip we take a chartered bus, before we get to our first stop, the bus driver stops for approximately 30-45 minutes to wait for his wife however she doesn't arrive (it seems that she is new to the area and may be lost) eventually we carry on.

Outside of Kathmandu we pass green fields of crops, terraced hills and tall stacks (kilns used for firing pottery) and we actually see some blue sky and clouds.

Our first stop is Changu Narayan which is a beautiful temple high on a hill overlooking Bhaktapour up a steep and winding road (sometimes close to the edge).











At Bhaktapour I pay the entrance fee of 750 rupees (despite a letter from the school) although I can extend it for the length of my visa period with a photo and copy of my passport and visa.

Bhaktapour feels very different then Kathmandu, it is quieter, less tourists and the stupas and temples are quite impressive.

When I pull out some snacks I offer some to the girls they politely decline, then I offer the bag to the boys-they finish it all! I make a face and look into the bag and shake it -the kids laugh...I didn't think that they would eat it all...but it is okay.





















On the weekend Chudra (Italian), Anya (German girl) and I take a taxi to Bhaktapour, we pay 400 rupees each to get there. We do a walking tour. Seeing how people live is as much interest (or more) than the wonderful temples and statues. When we get back to Durbur Square we go to a rooftop restaurant overlooking the square. I have a fruit filled pancake.

The ride to and from Bhaktapour is very fast however there is much more traffic on the return ride and by the time we get back my stomach is churning. I have frequent diarhea that night (maybe the fruit in the pancake?).

No comments: