Monday, May 4, 2009

Holi March/09








As the days lead up to "Holi" children are throwing balloons or bags of water sometimes from the rooftop as you pass by. It would be okay if the water was clean.

I keep my eyes up and warn the children in a stern voice "Don't even think about it".

I alter my route slightly to try to avoid children or to take a quieter route off the main road. A couple times before Holi I get hit with some water but fortunately I don't get soaked.

My usual route to school takes me past the Hindu Temples at Pashupati and the vendors selling various colourful offerings to leave at the temples.









According to the Lonely Planet, foreigners are especially targeted with coloured water on Holi. I stay inside for most of the day, even in the yard at the guesthouse, water is thrown from a nearby rooftop. I watch from our rooftop and see that even the monks have to run to avoid the children throwing water at them.

Late in the day, Lucie and I venture out, we see a number of people with coloured faces or arms. We miss one last bucket of water close to my guesthouse...whew!

No comments: