Monday, May 4, 2009

School Art etc.


As I can't take photos of the children -here are photos of their art work.





I try different things to make English fun for the children, like making silly sentences "The cow flew up to the tree". Or pretending that we are playing "The Price is Right" by saying "Come on Down!" to get the students to come up to the board to do work. I also encourage the students to do something that they like at the front of the class, like sing, tell a joke or act something out.

Another day I get out art supplies and let the students draw and colour their picture. One of the boys draws a picture of me. We put all the pictures up in the room.


One of my students has a learning disability (she really struggles). On one spelling test she gets every word correct. She is so proud of herself. She stands taller and I can see that she is telling the other students about her mark. I feel really happy to see that.

I want to encourage children's self esteem. For an exercise I have the students exchange their copy with someone else and write something positive about each other. Instead of writing something nice one boy writes "I will kill you" on each student's paper. He is sent to the principal's office.

On another day he draws a picture on the blackboard of someone being killed.

I find out that his parents were killed by Maosists in front of him and his sister.

It may explain why one day when I discipline him by making him face the corner, he
appologizes and doesn't want to face the corner.

Since the hostel students (students that live at Maiti Nepal) didn't get to participate in Holi I face paint one day starting with the little children. They seem scared though...the principal tells me that they may have thought that they were getting an injection. Fortunately afterwards some of them smile.

No comments: