Monday, May 4, 2009

Back in Kathmandu/Goodbyes

The couple weeks before I leave Kathmandu are busy with visiting with friends, buying gifts and making arrangements for my bicycle.

I buy more scarves from Soru and am talked into going with her to visit her family in their village for one night. Soru wears a T-shirt and jeans and I wear my kourtasulwall.

It is a long bumpy ride to her village (Partiso?) after leaving Banepa. From the small village we climb a steep path winding up to her grandfather's house. We stop a couple times to catch our breathe.





Her sister, Sharmila prepares dhal bhat and tea for us. Although I start to eat it with my fingers thankfully Soru offers me a spoon.



Afterwards we walk down a steep pathway to her other grandfather's house. Initially we sit out on a mat on the veranduh until I find it too hot. Inside her grandfather makes roti rolling out the dough, heating it on a stone over the fire then placing it near the fire to brown it.

Everywhere we go someone offers us food, I try to refuse as I am full but feel obligated to eat some.

We sit outside in the dark until supper is ready as the house is very smokey from the fire. Upstairs by flashlight I see the uncle's wedding photos.

At night I hear a mouse or rat in the walls or on the floor (its' nails scratching around) - I shine my flashlight around periodically to scare it away. The pillow is very hard so I use some clothes for my pillow.

In the morning we have tea. The goat is plaintively crying to be fed from her stall near the kitchen.

Soru's family is very nice, they ask if I can stay another day...I likely would say yes if I hadn't arranged to phone Buddha.



Sending my bicycle

I end up sending my bicycle by cargo as the overweight charge on the airlines is very expensive $35/kg/lb? and I am unable to find out about sending it as accompanied cargo (on my flight).

Bishnu makes the arrangements for me, I just ask him to ensure that "no drugs are sent with my bike". I take the bike by taxi but have to carry it to the office by myself from the main gate as the roads are blocked. After waiting an hour the men from the cargo company arrive. They tell me that to protect my bike it requires a wooden box and if it weighs 45kg it will cost less per kg then the actual weight of my bike...it still costs a couple hundred US. The cargo company will have the box made for me.

On another date, I return to go by taxi with the cargo fello to the cargo depot near the airport to complete the paperwork and provide a copy of my passport. On the way back there is a blockade so I pay the taxi driver half fare then walk back to Boudha.

Nepali flick

One night Buddha, Padam and I go to see a Nepali movie, it is an action flick with karate or Tai Kwando. I can follow the gist of the story as the acting is so over the top...I find it funny.

Tiebetan doctor

No comments: